STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN



There's been lots of interruptions these past two weeks, so it's been difficult to get into the right mind set. But I've finally got to the top- a total of 42 steps. The last 10 were a real challenge: narrow, with awkward angles to negotiate. I will leave this piece for a few weeks to allow for some detachment time and think about what finishes and textures to use.This is a view from the top looking back down into the block.

Below is another view of the block standing up as it is intended.The natural texture of the granite surface will be kept as this contrasts beautifully with the cut and processed areas.
This is an important aspect of my work/concepts/aesthetics.
To me; leaving at least some of materials' natural (original) surface is a sign of respect for its history and character-to which I'm just adding with the lightest possible touch.